Thursday, March 10, 2005

The root of all evil- or as some call it, television

I was reading cnn.com today when I came across this article. It's about a guy who has made his living as a critic. He just released a new book in which he totally lambastes such heralded TV programs as "Star Trek," and basically gives his opinions on what's been good and bad in entertainment over the past 30 years or so.

That's all well and good, but it ultimately just prodded me to share my personal outlook when it comes to entertainment. First off, I don't have cable. I haven't for the past year and a half or so, and I can honestly say I don't miss it one bit. Every now and then I'll go visit a friend who has cable or satellite, and I'll get to watch a little bit- I always either find myself fully captivated and unable to gather the motivation to get up, or completely revolted. Which says a lot about the television.

When I had cable, most evenings at my house consisted of sitting in front of the TV, absorbing stupid information that I didn't want to know in the first place. When I had friends over, it would always just become a group vegging-out session. I never did much of anything else when I was at home.

Now, things are totally different. When I come home, I generally either read, pick up a guitar, or head out on the motorcycle. Much more productive than watching that same episode of "Friends" for the 4th time this month, in my opinion. I've sort of forced myself to either actively seek out my entertainment, or to create my own. Which has birthed some great new hobbies, like target shooting, fishing, shooting footage for and editing my movies, playing blues twice a week, etc, etc. And I've got to admit, I'm much happier now.

There are at least a couple of good uses for the TV, of course. I did enjoy The Learning Channel, The Discovery Channel, and good stuff like that, but it really hasn't changed my life to be without. Sometimes I'll still turn the tube on in the mornings and watch the fuzzy local news and weather before I go to work, but that's about it. Most of the time I get disgusted with all the negative stuff in the news, though. And my dog, Jager, likes it when I leave the TV on for him when I'm away. I just think that most American humans, myself included, lack the independent thinking skills necessary to discern propaganda and hidden agenda TV from real life, and from innocent fun. At least I have the intelligence to realize how not intelligent I am...

I've got some friends who swear by their Tivos, and I do like the idea of being able to watch what I want, when I want- but of course, that would involve me buying both the TiVo and the cable. And I think that money and time could be much better invested in other things, like Maker's Mark and guitars, for instance. I think I'll stick to the internet, where I can at least choose my mindless entertainment.

.... Have you ever wondered why they call it "programming?"

-t

Quote of the day: Fireman Jake said, "I was on the phone with my girlfriend, and she was standing next to George Stephanopoulos. That's awesome. I thought he was really funny in Seinfeld."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

This site is fueled by: Newcastle Brown Ale Maker's Mark Woodford Reserve Totino's Shiner Bock