Monday, October 10, 2005

What the hell is this about?


beating
Originally uploaded by tjayswift.
I normally try to stay away from topics like this, but for some reason, I got extremely riled up about this one tonight.

Incase you haven't yet seen it, this 64 year old man was roughed up a bit by the police in New Orleans..... WHY on earth? I don't care how drunk and beligerent he may have been, he was struck repeatedly in the face.... does it really take 4 experienced officers to subdue and arrest a disorderly 64 year old?

A fifth officer apparently threatened and assaulted the AP photojournalist on the scene, as well. Classy work, fellas.

I DO understand that you fellas on the police force in New Orleans are highly stressed and overworked, and that you have been working 12 hour shifts 7 days a week since the hurricane. The ones that didn't desert, that is... and I DO understand that the older man was intoxicated and unruly.... AND that police officers are only human- BUT- seriously, as an officer of the law, you should have the restraint to avoid this type of situation... if you know you're in the mood to beat an innocent party because you've had a rough week, let one of the other FOUR officers present make the arrest. I guarantee you the victim had a pretty shitty week, too... but he chose to have a couple of drinks and keep to himself.... YOU chose to be a violent asshole. When he resisted your unnecessary roughness, you turned up the heat and beat him some more. He was stuck in the face at least 6 times on camera. You must punch like a pussy if it took you six licks to knock out a drunk grandpa.

I hold a lot of respect for police officers, and I always will, no matter how many stories like this I hear. These guys work hard and risk their lives for little to nothing every single day, and that earns kudos from me off the bat. But I do hold tight to my opinion that many cops got the job so that they could continue their high school bully days and not have to grow up. They have an ego problem and they feed on the weak. There are bad apples in every bunch, and I apologize to my (good) cop friends, but for some reason it seems like the rotten ones stand out a lot more when they're sworn to serve and protect.

Fortunately, 3 of the officers involved have been arrested and suspended without pay. Hopefully karma will catch up to them sooner rather than later- don't drop the soap, bitches.

The sad part is this- I've always believed that violent people are just that- violent people. They always have been, and they probably always will be. It pains me to imagine how many times this has happened and there hasn't been a camera around to expose it. And we all know what happens to the complaints that get filed at the local PD with no video or photos to back them up...

And just when you thought the NOLA soap opera couldn't get any better, I ran across this at the bottom of the article-

"On Friday, state authorities said they were investigating allegations that New Orleans police broke into a dealership and made off with nearly 200 cars, including 41 new Cadillacs, as the storm closed in."

Oh my god, I can't WAIT to find out more about this one....

Do you know what 200 cars looks like? It's a lot. How many officers would you imagine would have to be involved to put up a number like that? What in the hell did they think they were going to do with them? They're cops- it's not like they were going to drive them to Arkansas to avoid the storm- they had to stay and work. And it's not like they could register them after the storm or sell them for profit. Where are the cars now?

With some crimes I can understand the motive. I'm no angel- but that was just plain stupid. Only a true retard would risk his freedom, his job, his integrity, and his future to play with a new Cadillac for a couple of hours. Hell, you're a cop. You can go test drive one anytime you want... you could probably even make up some bullshit lie to convince them into loaning you one for the weekend- and I wouldn't even look down on you for that one- but don't STEAL it. Jesus. I sure hope the new chief of police down there has the heads rolling for this crap.

Honestly, I'm not too sure what I'd do with that piece of shit city if it were up to me... part of me just says to let the ocean reclaim the land and forget it was ever there... but I know it's home to those people, no matter how crappy a place it was/is. And I know as well as anyone how it feels to miss the things you love about your home. But how do you rebuild a city of that size when you have things like this happening? It's fucked from square one. Do you honestly think that the residents that are there now are going to respect the powers that be after this senseless shit? It's had to imagine that city being any more unruly than it was before, but I've got a feeling.... if things don't improve, we're going to see some major civil unrest. They folks left down there may not be the most educated on the planet, but I can promise you they're not stupid. They're not going to put up with this foolishness any more than you or I or anyone else would... They have a lot of pride in their city, and with pride comes a sense of respect- if they don't get any respect from the authorities, don't expect them to give any.

One thing's for sure- something's gotta change in New Orleans. And if I weren't too busy looking for elderly drunks to beat up, I'd go down there personally and do omething about it.

1 Comments:

Blogger da buttah said...

good god man.....

i can't remember a time before that post began :) just kidding...

New Orleans makes Jersey look saintly on the corruption scale, and I'm assuming that their police would make LAPD look cherubic.

The whole city needs an overhaul, hurricane or not.

that's my two cents. sorry if it's unrelated...I can't read more than a paragraph these days unless I have four colored high lighters next to me, and a pencil ;)

ps: bite me. my shower curtain RULES!

10/25/2005 12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This site is fueled by: Newcastle Brown Ale Maker's Mark Woodford Reserve Totino's Shiner Bock