Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Adventures on Hwy 1


52405
Originally uploaded by tjayswift.
This weekend was full of fun- probably the most fun I've had in a while that wasn't on two wheels.

Saturday I drove up to Sacramento to see an imax movie with friends, and spent some time walking around downtown Sac. The drive wasn't too bad, and traffic was light.

Saturday night saw me drinking way too much at a local pub... the interesting thing about the place- it's the only place in the state of California I've found where you can smoke. The have an interesting workaround in which Altoids cans replace ashtrays. It's just understood that if a "situation" arises, such as an officer of the law walking in, you put your cig in the can, close it, and put it in your pocket. Pretty clever, huh??

...Moving on to Sunday. Ah yes. I slept my hangover off and got a late start headed west to the coast. I drove across the San Mateo bridge and went to Half Moon Bay. A beautiful place. If it weren't so damned expensive, I'd live there in a heartbeat. I snapped this update's cover shot at Francis Beach there on the way back.

After a short walk along the beach, I hopped back in the car and headed on down Highway 1 to Santa Cruz. There were some absolutely wonderful pulloffs and overlooks along the highway- here's a shot I snapped at one of them.

greenoverlook

I still enjoy coming across all the flora and fauna that are so foriegn to me... Hopefully on Wednesday, I'll make a jaunt North on the 1 to get some redwood pics.

coastline

I finally settled in for a bit at a very special place called Pebble Beach. It's quite strange how the beach goes from clean sand to black pebbles so quickly... the coolest thing- I was there as the tide came in, and as the waves rolled back into the ocean, it would drag all the little pebbles back over one another. It sounded like thousands of rattlesnakes at once, and I don't even think you could have a conversation over it during the rising tide.

Another neat sound was the HUGE breakers smashing against the boulders. The closest sound that comes to mind would be thunder.

spray

There were all kinds of neat little creatures living in the tide pools. I had the opportunity to photograph some baby crabs and starfish. I'm not sure why, but the crabs that were out of the water were not very happy with my presence. They would chatter their little mandibles and make a hideous sound at me to scare me away. Although they were quite small and totally harmless, I decided not to play with them too much, as there have evidently been some major problems with people disturbing them.

mrcrab

It was an awesome day, and my new memory card afforded me plenty of storage, but unfortunately I killed both of my batteries before I had a chance to get any really good sunset shots. Hopefully on Wednesday night, I'll be able to get some good ones.


Till then......

tjayonrocks

-t

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

This site is fueled by: Newcastle Brown Ale Maker's Mark Woodford Reserve Totino's Shiner Bock