Saturday, December 31, 2005

...and then, finally- it was Wednesday.


IMG_5245.JPG
Originally uploaded by tjayswift.
I think I slept until about 4PM. Which is not completely over-indulgent, considering I was up trying to drink myself to death until about 9AM. And dammit, it never seems to work.

My good buddy Jenna is in from NorCal for the holidays, so of course I wanted to see her. Her father Rob is an amazing guitar player, and he plays every Wednesday night at our local blues club. Rob and I have played together before, and he has been more than gracious and encouraging of my skills- because, as we all know, young, middle class white boys don't generally get a lot of respect in the blues game. I truly do look up to Rob in many ways, and on Wednesday night, he didn't let me down.

Jenna had made a special request with her Dad that my buddies and I play a couple of songs, which wasn't a problem. I showed up ready to do a short set with Neal-o and the boys. But I got invited to jump in a little earlier for a few Stevie Ray Vaughan songs, which was a total blast. This, I would reckon, is my rock-star 'duh' face.

IMG_5255.JPG

We wrapped up that set with an epic version of "Little Wing," a personal fave, and I got to take a much-needed break for a few minutes.

Then I hopped up onstage with Neal-o and crew, and we cranked out an ultra-fun set of a few of our cover tunes, including "Steal My Kisses," "Rocketman," "Wicked Game," etc.

IMG_5236.JPG

Rob invited me to stay onstage and finish out the last set with his band, and I kindly obliged. That Gibson of his was sounding fantastic...

IMG_5248.JPG

I SO get off on jumping in with a blues band and playing songs I've never heard before in front of a crowd- it's such great excercise for my creative mind. I've always enjoyed playing with Rob because he knows my boundaries, and gently, yet firmly, pushes them onstage.

He gave me plenty of room to solo and dig deep, and I did my best to put on a show.

IMG_5247.JPG

When the smoke cleared and all the beer was gone, I'd been onstage for nearly 3 hours. Such a rejuvination for me. I love getting out and playing "rockstar" every now and then.

I felt like I did pretty well, which is relatively rare for me. But the reassuring part were the pats on the back and congratulations I got after I walked offstage. Guess I don't get onstage as much as I should anymore... There was a drummer from fairly successful local band in the audience, and he caught me as we were wrapping up and let me know that they'd really like to have me join them. That made my night.

We left the club and a few of us picked up some more beer and had a nice little after-party at my house. No pics from that- I'm not sure why, but it would seem that the girls are a bit uneasy about naked pictures of themselves circulating the interweb..

Next up is Jan. 4...... a Neal and the Leftswingers show at the Electric Ballroom. We'd love to see a few new faces in the crowd.... hope to see some of y'all there.

I'm all smiles right now, and that's a good thing.

-t

1 Comments:

Blogger The Emergent Teacher said...

Yes, that IS a good thing...

1/03/2006 8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This site is fueled by: Newcastle Brown Ale Maker's Mark Woodford Reserve Totino's Shiner Bock